Workplaces urged to prioritise safety in 2017 after a horror year
Despite WorkSafe Victoria visiting more than 46,000 businesses in the State, 2016 was the worst year for fatalities since 2009 with 26 workers not making it home the end of the day to their families.
23 of the fatalities were men and the agriculture and construction sectors accounted for almost 58 per cent of fatalities.
WorkSafe’s Executive Director of Health and Safety, Marnie Williams, described the number of workplace fatalities in 2016 as “horrific”. “It can never be acceptable that any worker in Victoria dies just because they are doing their job” she said.
“The consequences of failing to prioritise safety can be catastrophic. As well as the devastation suffered by families and friends, a workplace fatality has an enormous impact on colleagues and, ultimately, the business itself as it is the employer who will face the courts should there be a serious incident” Ms Williams said.
The combination of youth, inexperience, lack of training and systems places your workers at an unacceptable high risk of being seriously hurt or even worse.
Don’t become part of the statistics – Be absolutely sure you’ve done everything to prevent accidents.
Training is key
The combination of inexperience and lack of training places your workers at an unacceptable high risk of being seriously hurt or even worse.
A well-structured induction program is one of the most effective and efficient ways to bring new recruits up to speed on safe work methods.
Wouldn’t it be great if your new recruits could come in on the first day already trained? For a lot of organisations, TANDI online induction training has proven to be the safest and most economical way to manage their new employee induction training.
Why online training is so effective
- TANDI online employee inductions allows your new recruits to learn in the comfort their own home (or from anywhere with an internet connection) and successfully complete a comprehensive safety training module before their first day on the job.
- The record keeping of the training is done automatically and secure, making it easy for your organisation to meet its legal obligations.
- It allows for consistent and engaging delivery, ensuring maximum retention of learning
- Information is kept up-to-date and compliant with current laws and regulations It also compresses delivery time
- Massive cost savings on trainees and facilitator’s wages
Find out how you can Induct & Train your new workforce fast online here or check out TANDI’s low cost pricing here
Do you have a friend or colleague you think will benefit from reading this?
Knowledge is one of today’s key assets. So why not forward this on to your friends and colleagues? Share knowledge and help people connect with one another
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.