Safety for cleaners and housekeepers
Cleaners and Housekeeping Personnel are employed in almost every different types of workplace there is, including hotels, schools, offices, factories, health care facilities and retail outlets to mention a few. Cleaners employed by contractors often work in a variety of workplaces, while in-house cleaners usually work in the same environment.
What are the risks in the cleaning industry?
Cleaning involves many potential health and safety risks and injuries to the shoulder, back and hands are very common.
Here are some of the of typical hazards / risks associated with the cleaning industry
- Hazardous Chemicals (Dispensing and using)
- Manual tasks / Heavy lifting (buckets, containers, moving furniture around )
- Awkward positions (reaching, bending, stretching)
- Slips, trips and falls (often due to slippery surfaces)
- Working alone
- Infectious diseases (waste and bodily fluids)
- Sharps (needles, broken glass)
- Electricity (faulty equipment and wet areas)
The chance that incidents and accidents will occur in your workplace is higher when they are combined with risk factors such as:
- Lack of training
- Working in a variety of workplaces, thus making it a difficult to keep up with site-specific safety rules and processes
- Fatigue for long and physically demanding shifts
- Young and / or Inexperienced workers
How do I increase the Safety for Cleaners and Housekeepers in my workplace?
Whilst it is difficult to complete eliminate the risks within the cleaning industry, strong systems and processes, including a solid induction training program will have a large effect on the probability of an accident or incident happening.
A well-structured induction program is one of the most effective and efficient ways to bring your new recruits up to speed on safe work methods. Employees learn the right way of doing things from the beginning, minimising the risk of costly mistakes, whilst increasing productivity.
Wouldn’t it be great if your new recruits could come in on the first day already trained? For a lot of organisations, TANDI online induction training has proven to be the safest and most economical way to manage their new employee induction training.
Why is online training is so effective?
- Online employee inductions allows your new recruits to learn in the comfort their own home (or from anywhere with an internet connection) and successfully complete a comprehensive safety training module before their first day on the job.
- The record keeping of the training is done automatically and secure, making it easy for your organisation to meet its legal obligations.
- It allows for consistent and engaging delivery, ensuring maximum retention of learning
- Information is kept up-to-date and compliant with current laws and regulations It also compresses delivery time
- Massive cost savings on trainees and facilitator’s wages
Find out how you can Induct & Train your new workforce fast online here or check out TANDI’s low cost pricing here
Do you have a friend or colleague you think will benefit from reading this?
Knowledge is one of today’s key assets. So why not forward this on to your friends and colleagues? Share knowledge and help people connect with one another
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.